Jump to content

Buying a Second Hand Car


Recommended Posts


I would like to buy a second hand car in Romania, and register it in my name.

I’m Portuguese and I don’t have any ID from Romania. I only have documents from Portugal.

I am working in Bucuresti and I have a contract with a Portuguese company to work in their filial at Bucuresti for some periods. As I come 3 / 4 times per month, I need a car for my deslocations.

My doubts are: I need a fiscal number to buy a car? If yes, can it be my Portuguese Fiscal Number?

Thanks in advance


Traducere : Salut !

As dori sa cumpar o masina second hand in Romania si sa o inmatriculez pe numele meu. Eu sunt portughez si nu am buletin/rezidenta permanenta in Romania. Am numai documentele din tara natala. Lucrez in Bucuresti si am un contract cu o companie portugheza pentru a lucra in filiala lor locala din capitala in unele perioade. Cum vin in Romania de circa 3-4 ori pe luna, am nevoie de o masina pentru deplasarile pe care le efectuez. Intrebarile mele sunt : Am nevoie de un certificat fiscal pentru a cumpara o masina(nota traducator : in Romania)? Daca da, poate sa fie un certificat fiscal portughez? Multumesc in avans!


Edited by Kmcoio
Nu toata lumea intelege engleza plus ca suntem pe un site romanesc/Not everybody speaks english. We are on a romanian website.
Link to comment
  • Moderator

Actually, you dont...in Romania, the seller of the car is obliged to have a fiscal certificate that certifies the fact that he does't have any debts on his behalf...I am just wondering how are you going to register the car to your name, because the procedure involves declaring it to your local fiscal agency, but, it you situation, you are not a romanian citizen, so I dont think you are going to be able to register a car to your name if you dont have a permanent residence permit to Romania.

Edited by Kmcoio
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
  • Moderator

You need to get a residence permit in Romania and a Romanian ID for EU citizens, similar to "Autorização de Residência" from Portugal. for more information about how to get this permit, you should contact O.R.I.

Once you have this, which is not a big deal to obtain, you can register the vehicle in your name and drive it without any problems.

If you want to bring a vehicle from other EU state, you can legally drive it, according to the EU Directive, no more than 180 consecutive days. After that, you must register the vehicle in Romania (or any other member state where you establish your new residence).

Also you can drive a rented car with you Portuguese driver´s license or you can put the vehicle in the name of the Romanian branch of you company, but, be advised, you are not, legally, the owner of the car... so if they get angry with you, they can claim ownership of the vehicle !!!

Edited by CITADELA
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.